The Terms of reference of the STARS Working Group are as follows:
1. The aims of the STARS WG are
a. To coordinate and plan the work concerned with the support of the amateur radio service and of the amateur radio satellite service in those areas of IARU Region 1 where radio amateur activity is low or non-existent
b. To promote the procurement, production and distribution of any form of technical and educational material to be disseminated and applied in such areas
c. To assemble, collect and analyse know-how and human resources of relevance to the STARS-WG projects in such areas
2. If he deems necessary, the STARS-WG Chairman may nominate people on site to prepare, coordinate and monitor STARS-WG projects. They will act as the STARS-WG Sub-Regional Coordinators
3. The STARS WG Chairman will be entitled to attend the Executive Committee meeting as to art. A.4.11 of the IARU Region 1 Constitution
4. The STARS-WG Chairman will liaise with the IARU President and Vice-President, the IARU International Secretariat, the IARU Administrative Council members, the other IARU Regions and the non-IARU organizations via the Secretary of IARU, Region 1
5. An IARU Region 1 account is set up for the express purpose of financing STARS-WG projects. It is called “Development Fund” (previously Fund 4). The income accounted to this fund will be:
a. A fixed percentage of the annual membership fee as approved by a General Conference and paid by all the Region 1 Member Societies in proportion to their membership.
6. The expenditure accounted to the Development Fund will be based on the proposals and attached detailed budgets presented by the STARS-WG Chairman and approved by a General Conference or by the Executive Committee in between conference years.
7. The IARU Region 1 Treasurer shall be responsible for the Development Fund as to art. A.4.7. of the IARU Region 1 Constitution
8. The work of the STARS Working Group shall be carried out mainly by correspondence. Its general expenses will be reimbursed according articles B.3.28 of the IARU Region 1 Bylaws
9. In the years when no general conference is held, the STARS-WG Chairman may convene a meeting of the working group. The call for the meeting, its venue and budget will be decided in consultation and with the approval of the IARU Region 1 Executive Committee. The WG meeting related costs will be reimbursed according to art. B.3.25 of the IARU Region 1 Bylaws
10. If necessary, the STARS-WG Chairman may convene a meeting of the STARS-WG Sub-Regional Coordinators. The call for the meeting, its venue and related costs must be in consultation and with the approval of the IARU Region 1 Executive Committee. The WG meeting related costs will be reimbursed according to art. B.3.25 of the IARU Region 1 Bylaws
11. In the years when a general conference is held, the STARS-WG Sub-Regional Coordinator meeting may convene within the framework of the general conference
12. All IARU Region 1 member societies that have paid their fees to IARU Region 1 may nominate a delegate to the STARS-WG.
13. The IARU Region 1 Treasurer and the EC member with responsibility for development issues are members of the working group ex officio.