Recognition of outstanding work by IARU’s volunteers is an important part of the culture of IARU. Without our volunteers, IARU could not be effective.
Recognition takes many forms, but some of the more formal means of recognition are described on this page. Some awards are sponsored by Region 1, wheres others are sponsored by IARU globally
IARU Region 1
The Roy Stevens G2BVN Memorial Trophy
The trophy is awarded to any radio amateur that has best exempliﬁed the work and dedication of Roy Stevens, G2BVN, in international radio. Radio amateurs worldwide are eligible.
The Trophy has been awarded to
- 1987: Thomas Clarkson, ZL2AZ, and Alfred Muller, DL1FL
- 1990: Richard L. Baldwin, W1RU (SK)
- 1993: Kees van Dijk, PA0QC (SK)
- 1999: Wojciech J. Nietyksza, SP5FM and Alf Almedal, LA5QK (SK)
- 2002: Louis van de Nadort, PA0LOU (SK)
- 2008: Don Beattie, G3BJ
- 2011: Mustapha Diop, 6W1KI
- 2014: Gaston Bertels, ON4WF
- 2017: Colin Thomas, G3PSM and Wolf Harranth, OE1WHC
The IARU Region 1 Medal
The Medal has been awarded to
- 1984: Nikolaj Kazansky, UA3AF
- 1987: René A. Vanmuysen, ON4VY, Jacob Maarten den Herder, F6FYI, Stein Barlaug, LA4ND, H. Walcott Benjamin, EL2BA, Jean Wolff, LX1JW, F6DBG
- 1989: Walter Empsten, ON4ZN
- 1992: Paul Rinaldo, W4RI
- 1993: Henryk Cichon, SP9ZD
- 1995: Mirko Mandrino, YT7MM, Driss Bendani, 7X4MD, Kjell W. Strom, SM6CPI, Jurgen Rottger, DJ3KR, Ahmed Suwaidan Al-Balushi, A41FK, W0LCD, DB6NT
- 1999: Krzysztof Slomczynski, SP5HS, Peter Martinez, G3PLX, Matjaz Vidmar, S53MV, A Tobbe Klaasse Bos, PA3ADR, Rossella Strom Spadini, I1RYS
- 2002: Ron Roden, G4GKO, R .J “Tim” Hughes, G3GVV, John Bazley, G3HCT, Gaston Bertels, ON4WF,
- 2004: Jan Verduijn, PA1JV (Dutch Administration)
- 2005: Arie Dogterom, PA0EZ; Abdi Razak Alshawarzi, A41JT
- 2007: Rudolf Rieder (Swiss administration)
- 2008: Max Raicha, 5Z4MR; Hans Ehlers, DF5UG
- 2009: Fernando Fernández Martín, EA8AK
- 2011: Ulrich Bihlmayer, DJ9KR
- 2014: Hans Blondeel Timmerman, PB2T; Hani Raad, OD5TE; Panayot Danev, LZ1US; Nikola Percin, 9A5W; Andreas Thiemann, HB9JOE; Michael Kastelic, OE1MCU; Martin Harrison, G3USF
- 2016: Christian Verholt, OZ8CY, Wolfgang Hadel, DK2OM
- 2017: Ulrich Mueller, DK4VW; Lisa Leenders, PA2LS; Graham Shirville, G3VZV; Greg Mossop, G0DUB; Dennis Green, ZS4BS
The Michael J. Owen, VK3KI, Memorial Award
Michael Owen was involved with the IARU for over 40 years. His multiple roles as a volunteer included time as a Director and Chairman of Region 3 and as IARU Vice President and Technical Expert, in addition to extraordinary accomplishments as President of the Wireless Institute of Australia. He made substantial contributions of his time and skill before and during both WARC-79 and WRC-03.
The Administrative Council established the Michael J. Owen, VK3KI, Memorial Award to perpetuate his memory and to recognise those outstanding volunteers whose exceptional service to the IARU reflect the spirit, hard work and dedication of a departed friend and colleague. The award is restricted to those individuals who perform above and beyond their volunteer roles either for a specific task or for longstanding involvement on behalf of the IARU.
Recipients have been:
- Wojciech Nietyksza, SP5FM
- Dr. David A. Wardlaw, VK3ADW
- David Sumner, K1ZZ
- Rod Stafford, W6ROD
IARU Diamond Award
The IARU Diamond Awards are available to IARU volunteers and others. The awards are at the discretion of the IARU officers upon the nomination of an individual by any of the officers or any member of the Administrative Council.
The Diamond Awards are distinguished from the Michael J. Owen, VK3KI, Memorial Award.
The Michael Owen Award is the highest award available from the IARU and is reserved for individuals who have served in multiple capacities in the IARU (including its member-societies and regional organisations) over a considerable period of time and whose work and dedication have materially benefited the IARU.
The Diamond Award is available to individuals who meet the following criteria:
- An IARU volunteer of long standing who has provided services over a significant number of years and has shown exceptional diligence during a long period of service. Examples: an individual who has acted as a coordinator in one of the volunteer positions, individuals who have volunteered to represent IARU at ITU meetings over a number of cycles, and IARU technical representatives who have performed work above and beyond what is expected of them over a number of years.